Halfway point: Best songs of 2017 so far (#15 - #11)





11.) Evening Prayer by Jens Lekman
(A strangely upbeat song about a tumor. The lyrics are also about friendship and not knowing if you are close enough to care)



12.) You Can Never Go Back to New York by The Magnetic Fields
(Very catchy. I'm on the fence if I enjoy the vocal performance on 50 Song Memoir, reminds me of the goofy voice in the ukulele scene in Blue Valentine. Although clearly Stephin Merritt is a better singer than Gosling. Stupid Tears is a memorable song too even if the melody seems so familiar?)



13.) Shotgun Mouthwash by High Contrast
(T2 Trainspotting soundtrack. Works well in the treadmill intro scene. The lyrics are objectionable, deliberately so I'm guessing)



14.) Sugar for the Pill by Slowdive
(Got stuck in my head)



15.) The Flame by Johnny Jewel 
(Soothing instrumental which features in new Twin Peaks as score music. My favorite part is at 2.20 when the saxophone kicks in)



Honorable mention:
Amar Pelos Dois by Salvador Sobral
(Portugese winner of the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest. Sometimes less is more)



What do you think? As always, comments are welcome.  #10 - #6 coming soon! 

6 comments:

  1. I liked Slowdive, but was never a massive fan first time around. The new album however, and 'Sugar For the Pill' in particular, really is very very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @The Swede: I agree Sugar For the Pill is among their better songs.

      Delete
  2. Johnny Jewel's Twin Peaks music is just blowing my mind. Amazing stuff. I also remember loving his score in very underrated Lost River

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sati: Twin Peaks will bring Johnny Jewel's music to the masses, although they probably still don't know his name! His new album Windswept is in my top 3 of the year.

      Delete
  3. Aw.. Glad you gave Salvador an honourable mention - Yes amidst all the fireworks and big production values sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alyson: Deserves to be heard. Salvador's song I don't seem to tire of which is a good sign. The Danish entry I am bored with.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails